Powered By Blogger

Thursday 31 January 2013

Sailing bike needed!

To say it was windy today is a bit of an under statement. Over night it blew a gale and to tell you the truth put me right off going out in the morning, so I didn't. So come the afternoon the rain had cleared and the sun was out, sitting in doors is not getting me any closer to Paris so out came the bike and the elements had to be braved. The wind had eased a little but it was still very gusty, I set off with twenty miles the goal and a long trip planned for Friday. With the wind behind me it felt like I had raised the spinnaker sail and was flying along, touching 30mph with a slight decline aiding me, for the first few miles it was great. I left the town behind me and found the fields, with cross winds now trying to blow me to the other side of the road, I started to think about the journey home and heading into the wind. It was on me before too long and boy did I notice the difference, the spinnaker was now down and it felt like I should start tacking my way into the wind. At times when it gusted I felt like I stopped dead in the road, for all the speed and effortless riding out it was hard and energy sapping on the way back. I was glad I did go out and after all if the wind blows in June I'll still be doing 460 km. Roll on Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment