Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Puncture what Puncture

 

Last week saw me fail quite miserably in my attempt to complete a training ride, due mainly by my inability to repair punctures. This was followed by a bout of man flu which prevented me from getting straight back in the saddle. A week to forget I think and time to look forward. So with a trip to the bike shop completed and all the spares I could carry it was now time to hit the road and complete what I had set out to do, a thirty mile ride. It was another bright morning and for the time of year very mild. With my previous weeks experience on cycle tracks I set off with a plan to stay mainly to the roads, I felt good today and cruising speed was high for me, and at ten miles in, averaging 16.5 miles an hour. Heading now towards Shoebury which was the furthest point of the ride I took a minute or two out to take a photo across East beach and the Thames estuary. Heading for home and for a change not having the wind against me on the sea front I took to the only stretch of cycle track on route, the well used five mile stretch of Southend sea front. Now this is where my day took a turn for the worse and I will have to deliver a plea to Southend council. "Please, please, please can we understand that glass, cycle tracks and bikes do not mix. Not one but two punctures in five miles and me not being the only one as between punctures I passed another poor sole dismantling his tyre. Get it sorted and employ a few more road sweepers." At least this time my preparations and previous experience meant I had all the right gear to get me going again and made it home under my own steam. 31 miles at an average speed of 15.3mph, satisfied with that and plan to go out again tomorrow, roll on Paris.


No comments:

Post a Comment