Powered By Blogger

Sunday 28 April 2013

That was the week that was!

Wow what a week it ended up being, a week off from work that included mountains, mountain bikes, upgrades to the road bike and a combination of rides over 142 miles, am I sure it was only a week. It was but the start of the week seems a long time ago now, I wrote last weeks blog from the back of a car on the way to Snowdonia national park, I was part of a large group of work colleagues set to walk mount Snowdon and raise over £8,000 in the process. We woke on the Monday morning to a cool but sunny start to the day, the forecast however was for rain and low cloud, it didn't seem that way at 6am, maybe they had got it wrong? Maybe not. The early going was all good the weather was calm and it was comfortable in just a fleece, as we progressed we could see the cloud low over the mountain and thought we new what lay ahead. We were mainly novices on a mountain including myself and were not quite prepared for what was to follow.

Once we entered the cloud the wind picked up and the rain began, the transformation from the calmness of the lower slopes was extreme, gusts of 50mph combined with the driving rain made this walk a true challenge and all bar none realised that we were going to earn those sponsors. By now I was feeling the cold and the horizontal rain was finding the weaknesses in my gear, I may have looked like Scott of the Antarctic but in reality with most of my kit from high street stores I was more like Mr Bean. We made the top and feeling a bit lightheaded I needed to eat, having removed my gloves I now faced my biggest issue, not being the best design and apparently only being shower proof, once off and almost inside out they were not going back on again. So with photo taken through gritted teeth that mimicked smiles I had the unenviable task of two hours walking down a mountain with no gloves and hands that already resembled icebergs. At times I could not feel the walking poles in my hands but with concentration taken up with not being blown off the mountain and finding the right place to put my feet, I picked my way down and the team congregated in the car park battered but not beaten. A true sense of achievement reigned and with a knowing nod and shacking of hands and plenty of back slapping we rejoiced in our success.

So with mountains left behind me it was back to the bike and what I have began to call my thing. It was the day after Snowdon and I was feeling it a bit so I had choices. Do I hit the road as normal and end up doing too much through over eagerness or be more pragmatic and start with an easier ride and make sure that the after effects of the previous day don't ruin the whole week. Well the sensible me won and out came the mountain bike along with the sun, time, speed and effort were not even considered,  a short loop staying near home was in order doing what ever the legs wanted and enjoying it along the way. That's exactly how it turned out, I ended up doing two circuits and 16 miles real slow, it was bliss. Turned out to be the right decision as well, you see come Wednesday my thighs were tight and aching so a well deserved rest day ensued. A rest from cycling but not the bike that is, the plans for today included upgrades to the Chariot. With an extension piece fitted to the handlebars for a more comfortable ride and new Continental tyres with an anti puncture belt fitted, time to say goodbye to multiple punctures and roadside repairs. Why am I so trusting, will I never learn? Thursday and Friday were set to be my next back to back rides of any significance, eager to get out and feel the improvement to the ride comfort I payed little attention to my new tyres. This was until the unthinkable happened only four miles from home, O yes you got it!!
                                                                         
A puncture *^+'/x@, so much for anti puncture, I was fuming and started thinking back to the sales splurge from the up till now trusted bike shop. "These tyres will cut out 95% of punctures allowing for trouble free cycling" O and "The one draw back is they are harder to change due to them being more ridged" great that is all I need now. Well on removal it was apparent that the Tyre had not failed, it was either a faulty inner tube or the fact that they are harder to put on, I can vouch for that, and that a careless tyre iron from the shop mechanic had pinched the tube. I managed fine and with a little less confidence in my new purchases set off once again, this time completing the 48 miles without incident and for once in warm sunshine. Friday saw a new route for me, one that took in the Dengie peninsular and Bradwell on sea as my destination, I waited till the afternoon as the morning was wet and with the wind now coming from the NW it was a bit more chilly than yesterday. It was a good ride over more undulating terrain, I did however still catch a shower before returning to the sun that I started the ride in. I enjoyed the ride topping 55 miles and best of all I was still feeling great afterwards. Saturday was another rest day punctuated with some social media work promoting the blog and justgiving page, resulting in us now only £7 short of £800. The target is looming large so please help us get there if you can, every little really does help. My week finished with a gentle ride with one of last years riding partners from my early charity events. While I have been out in all weathers, Nigel's bike has been hibernating during the winter months and he has resigned himself to walking the dog, so finally persuading him to get back in the saddle was quite an achievement. Twenty three miles of social riding, chatting on route and working to someone Else's pace eased my week to a cosy close. With many tougher miles ahead this time in six weeks I will hopefully be sitting in Paris with a glass raised in hand and many a tail to tell of great hill climbs and newly gained friends. Till next time "Roll on Paris"

No comments:

Post a Comment