Powered By Blogger

Saturday 1 December 2012

Its cold outside

Today was one of those days, not at work, need to train but any normal person would look outside turn the heating up and have some hot porridge for breakfast. Problem is I have rarely been described as normal so out came the Lycra and bike and with the temperature reading -2 I got myself ready for another twenty miles. Not having been out in such temperatures before the obvious choice was the mountain bike and plenty of layers. To be fair the roads were not that bad, I thought that the frost may have caused me more problems but apart from being cautious on the bends they were pretty good. The same could not be said about my hands, my gloves on all previous rides had stood up to the elements however with sub zero temperatures I started to feel the cold. About five miles in feeling the gears when changing them became a problem and I might as well have had hooves instead of fingers, at ten miles I was struggling to feel the handlebars full stop. While at this time the temperature had risen above zero, I needed to do something about my now completely numb hands. I stopped and spent the next ten minutes shaking and rubbing my hands together, I was glad I was in the middle of nowhere at this point as I'm sure the sight of me in Lycra shaking arms and jumping around was made for you tube. What ever it looked like it worked as the circulation came back and the rest of my ride was done in relative comfort. A new experience cycling in the cold and some research needed into new gloves, but all the same I still enjoyed the ride. Roll on Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment